11.16.2011

Revelation from the Movies

Okay, Wednesday...we're going to be okay, folks.

On Saturday I went to the movies. Alone. Some people get this and some people don't, but unless I can be sure that my movie-watching companion is going to sit quietly and watch the movie, I'd rather go alone. When some friends recently suggested a Lord of the Rings marathon, I said no. Not everyone seems to understand that the LOTR films are not talking movies. Don't even get my started on "no eating movies". If someone is laughing while Frodo is leaving for the Grey Havens, there will be blood.

Speaking of blood. Saturday. I went to the movies. Just the pizza I smuggled into my purse and I. We went to go see Drive...finally! I was relieved it was still in theatres because I've been dying to see it since TIFF in September. And...it was awesome! Ryan Gosling is great. Really. I love him. And he is not a good person in this movie either. He hurts people pretty severely. Note: This film is not for those with weak stomachs.

After watching this movie I was feeling a variety of emotions:
  1. Disappointment: Ryan and I would probably never live happily ever after.
  2. Joy/Excitement: The movie was throughly enjoyable.
  3. Angstment/Dispair: Wait a second...I'm an actress, why the heck am I not acting in awesome movies like this?!?! I'M A RECEPTIONIST!!!!!!!! (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
I left the theatre and walked for a very long time. I walked across a bridge with a Crisis Hotline number posted at the opening. I called and we chatted for a while.

"You're a receptionist?!" they said.
"I KNOW!" I said. "But I have the heart of an actress. And one day I want to be in a movie where I stab someone in the chest with a shower curtain rod!"

And from that moment I had new drive (woah, I didn't even try), and once again I am determined to always pretend to be someone else. You know why? Because not everyone is an actress. If they were, they would tell their own stories by acting them out on camera. Since this is not the case...there are those who get paid to act like other people and recreate their life. For the most part I am one who does not get paid to act like other people, but I hope to be paid for this in the future.

6 comments:

  1. Can you play the awesome friend who drives to NYC to visit her friends and eat waffles? We would need you this Saturday and we pay in waffles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you play the more than awesome friend who also visits Hoboken? 'Cause I have waffles, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WANT TO SEE DRIVE

    PS. Good job on fixing the comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I'm not the only one...who loved to go to theater alone. It seemed like I was reading.... chick lit here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dusty mama...it was good to see you for a precious little moment. But i will hold you to the waffles!

    And thanks Em!! ;) Good suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dig solo cinema. Probably gonna go to the muppets on my lonesome.

    ReplyDelete