11.03.2010

New Yorkers

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."         -Howard Thurman
Its been just over two years now that I've been in New York. It feels a lot longer than that. New York is a world away. It reminds me of Coruscant, the city planet. And at times I feel like I live underground. I can forget that there's a sky. I can forget that there's a world outside of the bubble that is NYC.
When you live in Manhattan, your lifestyle seems pretty normal...compared to others around you anyway. Its always funny when New Yorkers travel somewhere else though. They stick out like a man in a banana suit in a old folks home. (Please take a moment to imagine this scene because I think it will make you smile.) All of a sudden what was very "normal" is now very "Manhattan". Examples...Only drinking filtered water, putting fashion before practicality in wardrobe choices, and my favourite: overreacting when there is no Starbucks in walking distance...that's absurd (That there would be no Starbucks...not the overreaction.).
This past weekend I went to Massachusetts for a conference and it was beautiful! I couldn't help but think of the episode of Family Guy when all the New Yorkers drive to Rhode Island to watch the leaves change colour. And I took pride in being one of those New Yorkers. Its refreshing to get out of the city for a while to breathe some clean air and look at the stars. I actually love the wilderness and from time to time I say that I would be quite content living out in the bush. That's why its kind of funny that I'm still in the city. There are other forces at work here!
Last week was a bit annoying audition wise...lots of showing up and getting sent home, except once! I had a great audition and some positive feedback, and that made the week worth it. The trick is trying to forget about the audition as soon after it as possible. Otherwise it will drive you nuts. The rumor is that all the roles at the EPAs are already cast. I like to believe that that's not entirely true, but who knows. It not worth giving brain airtime...there's enough nonsense going on up there. Some things are in our control, and some are not. Work as hard as you can in the things that are, and let go of the things that aren't. Easier said than done, but it takes time to make a habit.
Today I want to leave you with a quote about going out, living life, and taking chances...not being a fool, but about not being afraid to make mistakes...
"Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better. What if they are a little coarse, and you may get your coat soiled or torn? What if you do fail, and get fairly rolled in the dirt once or twice. Up again, you shall never be so afraid of a tumble." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

  1. I'm embarrassed to say that yes I feel very relieved once I see a Starbucks when I'm traveling. Feels like a piece of home.

    ReplyDelete