12.29.2010

The you that could be is absolutely colossal.

Yesterday morning, I was all packed and ready to fly back to New York when in the wee hours of the day, we got a phone call saying my flight had been cancelled...for weather reasons I guess. New York has had a dumping I hear! So, plans were changed and I now won't fly out until the end of the week. I didn't mind so much though, happy to spend more time with my family and friends before I head out.
Last night I went to go see The King's Speech with my mom. In New York, I'm usually much more on top of movies that come out, but this only came out Christmas Day here anyway. What a great film! I felt so moved by the end. I don't want to give anything away, but I was touched by how this man persevered through his struggles, and not only privately, but humbly in the public eye with everyone watching and judging every step. He often didn't feel up to the challenge, but he had no choice and needed to step boldly into his role as King. And of course, Colin Firth did an incredible job as well.
Its amazing how quickly I can go from being inspired to insanely jealous of others who are living my dreams. Of others who are better than I am. More experienced. But everyone has their own path, and I'm only a youngin still, thank goodness, and things will take time.


A new year is coming...2011!
Its exciting! Only God knows what this year will bring, and as always, I can choose to see it as something scary, or as an ADVENTURE! (Thanks Ryan!) And that whatever happens, seemingly good or bad, they are all learning experiences.


I finished reading a book today called, "Feel the Fear...and Do It Anyway" by Susan Jeffers, Ph. D. (I almost didn't write Ph. D, but she must have worked hard to get those letters after her name, so I mustn't rob her of that.) I'm not sure if you've had an experience like this, but I was just browsing the library shelves when I stumbled upon this book. When I saw it, I stared at it and couldn't believe this book existed since the title alone captivated me. I think I was in the phobia section or something so I thought...ahh maybe this is about getting over a fear of heights or something. But the little blurb under the title said, "Dynamic techniques for turning fear, indecision, and anger into power, action and love." And then at the bottom it said, "More than 2 Million copies sold!" So I figured if all these other people bought it, I might as well give it a try. Okay, maybe I'm just a big dork, but this book is AMAZING! Like, I might say its life changing. I might say that. I didn't realize how fear can manifest and affect every area of your life. And not only did I see myself in these pages, but I saw my family, my friends, my colleagues. Probably the most significant thing I learned from this book, is that what you say to yourself is what you will become. If you tell yourself you are strong and worthwhile, you will believe it, and act differently than if you said to yourself that you are weak and a screwup. Also, that we can make excuses for why we don't take chances or blame others in our lives, or we can take responsibility for ourselves and make the necessary changes. On the last page of her book she says, 
"So commit! Commit yourself to pushing through the fear and becoming more than you are at the present moment. The you that could be is absolutely colossal."
We all have something to give, but we can be our own worst enemies. Anyway, I recommend this book for everyone, and since I only borrowed my copy from the library, I'm going to have to go get a copy for myself, so I can reread and highlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment