1.19.2011

Laura Eavesdrops at EPAs

Things I've learned since I wrote last:
GOOD IDEA: Win a Golden Globe.
BAD IDEA: Watch The Green Hornet.

Not too much to report since last post. Jealous to hear that my friend in Miami was walking around in shorts and flip flops while I was slipping around in sleet.
But on an acting note, I feel like I'm getting into a rhythm audition-wise.
1. Look for auditions everyday.
2. If there's an audition, go to it.
3. Rehearse monologues (should be everyday).
4. Read helpful books. (Right now I'm reading Audition by Michael Shurtleff)
And really, that sums it up. It is getting easier in a way, more of a habit, and sometimes I actually look forward to an audition. Sometimes not. It also helps a ton to either go with a friend, or to run into someone you know there by chance. It alleviates the wait and puts you at ease. I went to two EPAs on Monday and Tuesday and though non-equity was sent home on both occasions, they were still good experiences. It is so valuable to be in the presence of other actors and to eavesdrop on their conversations...and to chime in from time to time. Honestly, I hear about other auditions going on that week, about steps they took to get where they are, and helpful tips to move forward. 
I also finally got a response to an a submission for a play I emailed in. Even that is a...YES!!! First step: Casting person emailing you back. Check. The play is part of a winter play festival and I had my audition last night. Its nice to actually have an appointment where I am guaranteed to be seen! I did a contemporary monologue and then read from two sets of sides. It was my first time out with that monologue so it was still a bit rusty, but it was okay, and I think the sides went well. Overall I am happy with how it went and I feel as though I did what I could. So, success! I'm not going to hold my breath, but they said they would let us know by the weekend. Onwards and upwards!


Another thing I need to get back to is the CRAFT of acting. It is so easy to get caught up in the business of it and forget that its an art. We bring characters to life who have emotions, relationships and depth. Anyone can read a play at home, but people come to the theater to really feel the play. Experience it. As actors, we need to tell their story.

2 comments: