6.22.2011

Telephone Phobia


I used to have Telephone Phobia. I dreaded more than anything having to make a phone call, whether it be to the hairdresser or to my best friend. So I'm talking when I was, say, (I dunno, when do kids start using phones?) 6 years old, until age, um...17? I don't remember, but it went on for a long time, this fear of phone calls.

The cure, as goes for ALL fears, was to get a job as a Customer Service Rep in a call center. To clarify...I do not mean to say that working at a call center cures all fears, more so the facing of one's fear. i.e. If you're afraid of lions, you should go spend the night in the Serengeti. 

Though this fear has mostly been worked out of me, I realize that on occasion, it is still an issue. I am the QUEEN of screening calls. I do not like to answer the phone. I probably shouldn't say this because now people will think I'm purposefully not answering my phone. Hey, there are times when I legitimately cannot come to the phone. Is that a crime? Gosh, cell phones are the worst. (And the greatest.) But my point is that, since I've been looking for a job, I've been getting phone calls from different businesses, who have the heart to meet with me for an interview. And every time the phone rings, I stare at it for a few moments and deliberate as to whether or not I'm going to answer the phone. EVERY TIME. And then, I ultimately figure that I'll just have to call them back anyway, so I might as well save myself the time and answer it right then.

I'm certain that this is why texting and emailing has become so popular. They are by far the easiest and least-scary forms of communication. You can take time to think about what you're going to say, Google something if you have no idea what someone is talking about, and you can use a thesaurus to sound more smarter if you want. Some people don't even have calling plans on their phone. They only text! I don't know any of these people personally, but I know for a fact that there are plans like this offered.


People, don't be wimps. At least have the decency to break up with your girlfriend/boyfriend over the phone. Texting is not acceptable.

A phone call can be life-altering. Some calls you pretty much know what to expect. When Mom or Dad calls, I would say the majority of people don't crap their pants. Then there are those important calls, for job hunters or performers, or I guess freelance people, that say, "You got a job!" "You're going to be in a Coke commercial!" "The President wants you to sing at his birthday party!" The possibilities are endless!!! I keep waiting for Stephen Spielberg to call. Or Oprah. That would be a nice phone call. 

I just hope that I would answer the phone.

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, I think I'm the opposite; I used to not have telephone phobia, but then I started falling into the whole emailing/texting trend and became more so. I would blame technology for this, but that would be evading personal responsibility, lol. Besides, emailing/texting is something a courtesy more than anything else: It's a way to contact someone without necessarily running the risk of bugging him/her if he/she is currently super-busy at the moment. But yes, breaking up via emails and texts is a pretty lame, and cowardly, way to do it. (Not that I really know that from personal experience or anything...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that email is a pretty polite way of communicating and allows for people to respond at their leisure. Or...they'll forget you emailed them until a month later. Yes...I also do this. Communication is hard.

    ReplyDelete